St. Francis Xavier Primary School is a Catholic, primary, co-educational school under a joint sponsorship with the Institute of Sisters of Mercy of Australia and Papua New Guinea and the Ballarat Catholic Education Office.
In 1902, the Sisters of Mercy, Ballarat East purchased ‘Fortune’s Folly’ and the grounds at Mt. Xavier. This beautiful home and its surroundings were established as the Villa Maria Convent and developed into a small farm to supply primary produce for the community of Sisters and boarders at the nearby Sacred Heart College.
In 1905 alterations to the Convent were approved so that a boys’ boarding school could be established for junior boys from Prep to Year 8. Three students were enrolled at this time. The school was formally registered and opened in 1914 as St. Francis Xavier Primary School.
The School grew and flourished, growing to include day students in 1960 and becoming co-educational in 1974. The facility for boarders concluded in 1978 and St. Francis Xavier Primary School has continued as a co-educational primary school for day students until the present time.
We are part of an even bigger history!